Horizon Home Care & Hospice, Inc. will optimize health and quality of life for patients and families in the home and other settings. Our clinical experience, relationship-centered care, and respect for patient rights set us apart as the region’s employer and provider of choice. Our philosophy of compassion & responsiveness extends from our employees to our hospital sponsors, physicians and the patients and families we are privileged to serve.
Horizon is a Private Not-for-Profit formed in 1990 by four hospitals in the Milwaukee area: Columbia, Froedtert Lutheran Memorial, Community Memorial, and St. Mary’s hospitals. Created as a joint venture, the hospitals merged their home care, hospice, private duty, meals-on-wheels, and non- medical care activities into one organization. The newly formed organization was called Horizon Home Care & Staffing, Inc., located on Florist Avenue in Milwaukee. Two years later it applied for and was granted not-for-profit status and became Horizon Home Care & Hospice. Horizon is accredited by The Joint Commission, an honor that it retains to this day and is considered the premier provider of in-home services in the region.
- 1990: Horizon Home Care & Staffing, Inc. was formed as a joint venture so that four Milwaukee area hospitals (Columbia, Froedtert Lutheran Memorial, Community Memorial, and St. Mary’s hospitals) to merge their home care, hospice, private duty, meals-on-wheels, and non-medical care activities into one organization.
- 1992: Horizon is granted not-for-profit status, a status it presently retains. It is renamed Horizon Home Care & Hospice, Inc.
- 1995: Horizon opens a branch in Hartford and moved the home office to Brown Deer.
- 1999: Mary Haynor, the current CEO, joined Horizon. Horizon earned accreditation from The Joint Commission, which it still holds today.
- 2010: Horizon opened an inpatient hospice unit in Mequon within Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital to serve its growing census of hospice patients.
- 2013: Horizon moved its home offices to a larger space in the Park Place business park in Milwaukee.
Horizon Home Care & Hospice, Inc. will set the standard as the region’s employer and provider of choice through…
- A comprehensive scope of services, ranging from complex medical specialties and hospice to transitional home care and personal services
- Advanced, research-based clinical expertise and delivery techniques
- Demonstrated superior outcomes and customer satisfaction
- Personalized customer service and relationship-centered care
- Enhanced visibility and partnership with Sponsor hospitals and physicians
- Unsurpassed commitment to attract and retain the very best employees
- Organizational and financial strength and stability
More About WHO We Are
Horizon defines itself by the word "Home," a home built on a solid foundation.
We are built on a foundation of care that values people: the people we serve, the people who choose to serve this community by working for us and the people who support our mission through philanthropy and volunteer service.
Horizon is an organization structured around the idea of home. What does home mean to you? We ask each and every person in our organization to try to find out how they can serve you best, and bring that feeling to you. Whether you prefer to be alone or like a lot of guests, if the smell of pumpkin pie brings you peace, or if it’s a deeper fear of losing your independence that makes you uneasy, our staff will try to bring you the comfort of home, whatever that idea means to you.
Our purpose is to give patients, staff and community the feeling of home in each and every encounter.
Horizon is accredited by The Joint Commission as well as certified by Medicare and Medicaid to provide the variety of services we offer. We hire the best employees, we train on the latest techniques and we strive to practice innovative care-giving processes and lead our industry in patient satisfaction and outcomes.